The iPad is finally available legally in South Africa, and the pricing looks good, in fact much better than expected.
WiFi 16 GB, 32GB, 64GB R4,399, R5,399, R6,399
WiFi & 3G 16 GB, 32GB, 64GB R5,599, R6,599, R7,599
Setup a US iTunes account
As an existing iPad user I can tell you that the most important thing to do (besides not dropping it) is to setup a US iTunes account. There are a number of very cool free Apps which are not available in the South African iTunes store.
This US account will not be used for purchasing Apps from US iTunes store, as that would require a US credit card, but rather for accessing the free Apps from the US iTunes store.
You can have multiple iTunes accounts and swap between them very easily, so I would recommend an SA account linked to your SA credit card for purchases, and a US account for everything else.
So here we go:
1. Launch iTunes & make sure you are currently NOT logged in with any account
2. Scroll to the bottom of the screen & click on the flag (prob SA) in bottom right corner
3. Icons of all available country flags should appear
4. Click on the USA flag
5. You will be redirected to the US iTunes store
6. Select the App Store tab from the top of the screen
7. Now browse the App store and find any FREE app and install it onto your iPad
8. You will now be required to sign in
9. Select ‘Create a new account’ option
10. Go through the account creation process (email, password, birthday, etc)
11. Next step is credit card details (select None, only available if you picked a Free app in step 7)
12. Then you need to enter a name & valid (but not necessarily yours) US address
a. Name: AN American
b. Address: 555 Fifth Ave, New York, New York, 10153
c. Phone: 212 2221111
13. That is it, you will be sent an email verification
Enjoy all those free US Apps, I recommend:
Paper Toss HD – it’s quite addictive