- Pinterest is the ‘hot new thing’ in social media
- It is the 20th most popular website in South Africa
- It drives more traffic back to websites than Google Plus, LinkedIn and YouTube combined.
- High-quality compelling images get the best repin results
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is an image-driven social media tool that lets users gather and categorise images and videos into visual pinboards. Users can collect and organise images of whatever interests them, and, whenever they pin something, their followers will see it and can ‘repin’ the image if they like it. There is also functionality for ‘liking’ and commenting on pins.
Who uses Pinterest?
According to Alexa, in relation to overall Internet usage, Pinterest users are more likely to be 25-34 year old childless Caucasian females who are college educated. Pinterest visitors view 8.4 unique pages each day on average.
How does it rate in South Africa?
Pinterest is the 20th most visited website in South Africa, with over 11 million views per week. 1.1% of all Pinterest visitors are from South Africa, although usage in other African countries is not as high.Should your business use Pinterest?
Pinterest drives more referral traffic than Google Plus, LinkedIn and YouTube combined. Considering that Pinterest only really took off locally in late 2011, this feat is quite impressive. If your target market includes middle-class financially independent females between the ages of 25 and 34, chances are that Pinterest should have a place in your marketing efforts.
Here are a few ways that companies are using Pinterest:
- Virtual catalogue: product images linking back to the purchasing page on the company website
- Mood/inspiration board: a collection of pictures that relate to the emotion or lifestyle you are trying to sell.
- Competitions: encourage customers to pin photos of themselves using your products in return for rewards.
- Market research: Through the comments and liking function, businesses can get feedback from potential .
- Engage with users by building a community around your brand.
South African Case Studies
Need inspiration? See what Yuppiechef are doing with Pinterest.
Also check out:
- This 3-Part series on what Pinterest is
- 26 Tips for using Pinterest for business
- How brands are reaching customers on Pinterest
- Free ebook on using Pinterest for business
- Pinterest and South Africa