Paper books are lovely. But eBooks open up so many new doors to ways in which books can be enjoyed. Here are a few reasons why eBooks are awesome:
- You can take your eBooks anywhere, and carry an entire library with you.
- eBooks are green – by downloading and reading an eBook, you are using far less energy and far fewer resources than it would take to print and transporting a paper edition.
- eBooks are cheaper – because you cut out printing cost, paper cost, and the cost of transporting the book, eBooks can actually be a lot cheaper than print books – they are sometimes less than half the price of a print book).
- Buying an eBook brings instant gratification: if you want it, you can buy and download it instantly, without having to wait for a bookstore to order, it or for it to get lost in the mail.
- You can easily bookmark your eBooks and leave notes.
- You can adjust the text size and legibility of your eBooks.
- Certain eBook readers can read your eBook out loud, which is very useful for people that are visually impaired.
- Enriched eBooks – Because eBooks are digital, one can include some added extra’s – one can easily include hyperlinks to websites where people can find out more about the book (be this the book’s official website, a video interview with the author on YouTube, or a Wikipedia entry), and one can even imbed sound and video in the eBook itself, thus being able to provide far more than print equivalents.
- For those who can afford them, dedicated eBook readers are compact, easy to carry anywhere, and have e-ink screens designed to mimic paper and eliminate eye strain.